Recently, The Hunger Coalition received a very special donation. Lava Lake Ranch was issued an elk permit from the Idaho Department of Fish and Game. Thanks to a successful hunt and with the help of Jeff Schroeder at Idaho Hunters Feeding the Hungry, The Hunger Coalition received more than one hundred pounds of elk meat for distribution to hungry families.
“We’re delighted to support The Hunger Coalition, which does such important work in Blaine County,” said Brian Bean, Lava Lake Ranch owner. “It’s very gratifying to us that this world-class protein will be available to those who can truly benefit from it.”
Now that hunting season is upon us, YOU TOO can make a difference to those that are food insecure while enjoying your recreational hunting activities. Oftentimes the amount of meat your big game harvest provides can be too much for your family and friends. Thanks to the Idaho Hunters Feeding the Hungry program, The Hunger Coalition can distribute the food to people in need.
Protein, especially red meat, is the least available food item for food banks. Please consider donating all, or a portion, of your big game harvest this year, and specify The Hunger Coalition to receive this important protein. Contact Noel Jensen at The Hunger Coalition with any questions at 208-788-0121 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before donating, please note the following guidelines:
• Only big game meat can be donated that has been processed by a state or federally inspected plant. (Sorry, no donations of fowl allowed.)
• Our local processors are Scarrow Meats at 208-324-7657 and Piper’s Custom Meats at 208-487-2530.
• If you are not donating a whole deer or elk, please consider donating a quarter or even a few pounds! Please only donate meat you would feed your family and friends.
• Road kill and improperly handled game cannot be accepted due to possible contamination.
• Use care to properly field dress all game animals and deliver carcasses promptly to the processor.
Idaho Hunters Feeding the Hungry is also accepting donations to help pay for the processing of donated wild game. You can contribute money to this cause individually, or by holding a fundraising event for IHFH. Contact Jeff Schroeder, Executive Director for IHFH. Find out more on their website, IHFH.org, or on Facebook.
The Hunger Coalition strives to end hunger in our community by providing wholesome food to those in need and by promoting solutions to the underlying causes of hunger through collaboration, education and advocacy. For more information, visit www.thehungercoalition.org or call 788-0121.